Monday, November 01, 2004

11/1 Vocabulary of Lesson 7

The First Hour
Vocabulary teaching (50 min)
a. Guide Ss to pronounce the new words.
b. Teach the vocabulary by categorizing the new words into verbs, nouns, and adjectives.
c. Present them by using PPT; only the most essential sentence patterns or expressions are presented.
d. Ask individual Ss to read the example sentences out loud.
e. Round up with the idea of suffix –ive.


REFLECTION:

The first hour was terrible. I did follow my schedule but the way I presented it was kind of messy, especially the notes I wrote on the board. When I was teaching, I wished I had been a walking dictionary that I could come up with any easy and beautiful sentences anytime, for any vocubulary. I stumbled a lot in the first hour, partly because I was nervous and because when I saw those advanced Ss, like Judith or Tiffiney, I lost my confidence.
One big problem of today's teaching is that there could be more teacher-student interaction. Sometimes I raised a topic but I didn't know how to continue with it. And suddenly the atmosphere frose. Like Rainbow suggested, I can ask more wh- questions and make the Q & A more meaningful. For example, I asked Ss of the second class to raise their hands to show whether they'll go Dutch or let their boyfriends pay all the bills. After raising their hands, I didn't have much feedback but continue teaching the next word. :P Next time, I can ask individual Ss 'why' they choose a particular answer; then, it will yield more interaction between us and the interaction will be more natural.

The follwing are a few other things I learned today:
1. Apart from 'include' and 'including', the usage of 'included' is also very
important. I'll supplement this point when I go through the reading text.
2. While metioning something important but not included in the textbook,
I can remind Ss to write them down. Leave some time for them to do
that.
3. When talking about a new grammatical concept, such as the idea of 'suffix', and there are quite a few examples that contain new words, the most important thing is to explain how the suffix '-ive' works. Instead of giving a thorough explanation of each word, I can pick one or two easier words to explain how the suffix works and ask Ss to check the rest of the unknown words in the dictionary.

1 Comments:

Blogger Rainbow said...

Dear Yuming
That's how hard it is for us non-native speaker of English to teach English! For us, "expertise" includes not only good pedagogy but being able to speak the language well. Few people can do both perfectly. However, as long as you keep going with your own learning, you will find yourself taking better care of the latter as time goes by. The good thing about being a NNS, though, is that we can easily predict what will be difficult for our students to understand. A lot of times, my husband had to "consult" me about this when he was writing his books. Your confidence in your language ability will increase dramatically with your teaching experiences. As for students like Judith, there are just going to be more and more of them in our future classes. For really special cases (e.g. ABC), I usually talk to them at the beginning of the semester, ask them what they expect from my class, explain to them why I can't do that if I can't, etc. Usually I end up giving these students a lot of freedom (and I've never got any complain from other students). One thing I can't tolerate is that they disturb the class, and this has never happened. I suppose the golden rule is to build up a good relationship with them, show them that you are concerned about their learning, and help them in any way you can.

November 10, 2004 at 8:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home